Setting up Automated Payments for your Athlete Invoices simplifies the payment process and saves time. As the Coach you only need to create one invoice, and the athlete only has to authorize the payment one time. When setting up an Automated Payment, the athlete will authorize a recurring payment (aka, Subscription) through PayPal.
Creating an Invoice with Automated PaymentsWhen on-boarding a new athlete or setting up Automated Payments for an existing athlete, just ask the athlete if they want to enroll in Automated Payments. To create an invoice with Automated Payments, create an invoice as normal and set the following two (2) additional fields.
- Automated Payment - This field enables the Automated Payment and sets the frequency for how often PayPal should pay the invoice. Select a value from the drop-down list: Weekly, Monthly, Every 4 Weeks, Yearly, etc. After making your selection, the Cycles field will display. Leaving the Automated Payment field as None will not setup Automated Payments. You must then manually send the invoice each period, and the athlete must pay each invoice manually.
- Cycles - this field indicates how many automated payments to collect. This is useful if you know an athlete will stop using your services after a predetermined time. If you enter 4 in the Cycles field, you will receive a total of 4 payments at the frequency set in Automated Payments. For example, if you set Automated Payments to Monthly and Cycles to 4, you will receive a total of 4 payments - 1 payment per month over a period of 4 month, starting on the date the Automated Payment is authorized. If you leave the Cycles field blank or enter 0, automate payments will continue until the athlete cancels the payment.
Automated Payment EmailsThere are a few emails that are sent when you set up Automated Payments. Emails are sent to the Coach and the Athlete:
- When an Automated Payment is made
- When an Automated Payment is canceled
- When an Automated Payment term ends (if the Cycles field is not blank or 0)
Canceling Automated PaymentsCanceling the Automated Payment must be done by the Athlete or PayPal account holder. There are multiple ways to cancel the Automated Payment.
Cancel from AthleteOne Invoices
- View the AthleteOne invoice for the Automated Payment that should be canceled.
- Click the Cancel Button. This will send you to the PayPal Login Page.
- Follow the steps below in "Cancel from PayPal".
- Login to Paypal and Navigate to the account Profile by clicking on the gear icon on the top right corner of the page.
- Click the Pre-approved Payments in the Payments section at the bottom of the page.
- Find and click on the Coach's company name or email in the Merchant field.
- Verify in the Billing Details that the pre-approved payment is the correct one. If it is, click the Cancel Link.
The coach can also cancel the automated payment from PayPal.
- Login to Paypal and Navigate to the Tools menu and select All Tools
- Click on Recurring Payments
- Find your Athlete in the list and click their name.
- Click the Cancel link at the top of the page.
See Also: Managing Invoices,
PayPal Documentation: Subscriptions, Changing the payment method, Cancel an Automated Payment